Gerardo Cantore started practicing Martial Arts in 1968, Karate at Erwin School and Aikijujitsu at Kamakura Institute,
both in Montevideo, Uruguay, and he has practiced both parallely up to the present.
From 1968 to 1979 (11 years) Mr. Cantore practised with the Martial Arts pioneers in Uruguay.
From 1979 to 2003 (24 years) Mr. Cantore travelled to practise, study and improve in Philosophy and
Martial Arts techniques in different countries such as Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Peru,
U.S.A., Canada, Japan, China, Thailand, Nepal, India, Russia, Spain, etc...
He had the honour of being guided, corrected and graduated by these Great Masters:
- Geo London. Aikijujitsu (Uruguay)
- Shoei Miyazato. Karate (Argentina)
- Mazatoshi Oshiro. Karate (Perú)
- Katsuya Miyahira. Karate (Japón)
- Angi Uezu. Karate (Japón)
- Shishen Houng. Shaolin Tsu (China)
- Osshoni Sasaki. Meditation (India).
- Maha Soumbun. Meditation (Laos)
- Yeshe Tenzing Sanyang. Meditation (Nepal)
In 1998 (after 30 years of practice) Gerardo Cantore retired alone to the Nepal Himalayas to write his thoughts
about Martial Arts and to practise all he had learned.
By this time Gerardo Cantore had been graduated as red and white belt (7th Dan Master) in two Martial Arts:
Okinawan Karate Kobudo (Isshin-Ryu) and in Aikijujitsu
In 2000 he resigned all his ranks and founded Shinshinkan Karate-Do.
In the same year he was invited to take part in the Word Head of Family Sokeship
Council, with the rank of Soke and Grandmaster in Shinshinkan Karate-Do and received the 9th Dan red belt.
From 2000 to 2002 he resigned the rank considering not being suitable for that position.
In 2002 he accepted the rank because he understood it was necessary for the school, his students and the future.
In 2004 Mr. Cantore was greatly surprised twice, when receiving the 9th Dan in the Okinawan Karate Linage of
Grandmaster Tatsuo Shimabuko, the Founder of Isshin-Ryu, and when receiving the 10th. Dan in Shinshinkan Karate-Do.
Nowadays Gerardo Cantore has students from Asia, Europe and America. He is
S.W.K.O. Shinshinkan World Karate Organization founder director. This organization includes two schools of
the same linage: Shinshinkan Isshin-Ryu Karate Kobudo (authentic and intact)
Isshin-Ryu Karate-Do (Shinshinkan school) and Shinshinkan Karate-Do (this is Isshin-Ryu plus all
the experience of Gerardo Cantore). The student can choose the school where he wants to stay, Both within S.W.K.O.
The ranks of Soke Gerardo Cantore:
- 10th Dan Shinshinkan Karate-Do (Soke)
- 9th Dan Isshin-Ryu Karate Kobudo
- 7th Dan Aikijujitsu (Shihan)
Grandmaster member of:
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council (with rank of Soke)
- Shurijo Karatesai Okinawa Karate Konwakai (Okinawa- Japón)
- United States Isshin-Ryu Karate Association (U.S.A.)
- Shinshinkan Karate-Do (Soke)
- Shinshinkan World Karate Organization (Kaicho)
- Shinshinkan Isshin-Ryu Karate Kobudo (Kancho)
For more about Soke Gerardo Cantore and Shinshinkan Karate-Do, please visit
Information and pictures supplied by Shinshinkan Karate-Do World Central.